Friday, September 25, 2009

Public Enemy #1: The GOATHEAD

If you have never encountered a goathead consider yourself lucky. Earlier this summer while vacationing, poor Adam stepped on a goathead and the thorn came off in his little foot. For days he would only walk around on his tiptoe screaming everytime we threatened to get close to the thorn.  A couple weeks later we were finally able to pull the nasty thing out. 
In the last week the goathead has taken a toll on our bikes. Casualties are as follows:
Spencer- Front tire and back tire (at different times)
Preston- Back tire
Ethan- Front tire
Mindy- Front tire
Bicycle Trailer- left tire
Spencer has had more expensive non flat tubes in his tires which seemed to protect him against the first 11 goatheads we pulled out, but it is always that 12th that puts ya over the edge. We have tried different tubes and of course slime. We are currently trying a tire liner in Spencer's front tire.   In the meantime I have put the bike rack on the back of the Suburban so that Adam and I can "come to the rescue" a little easier and much quicker.  I had been putting it on and off for each trip, but decided until we can get our goathead problem under control. I will just leave the bike rack on.

No comments: